It took a lot of work but finally it’s over. Honestly, I can’t say that I’m too happy with it. The sculpt is nice sure, but it started working on this when I knew nothing about Zbrush. If I were to do it again, I’m absolutely certain that the quality would be far better. But then again, that’s what this Thesis was about, learning a skill that I didn’t have.
Thesis Final Cinematic
Are you new to blogging, and do you want step-by-step guidance on how to publish and grow your blog? Learn more about our new Blogging for Beginners course and get 50% off through December 10th.
WordPress.com is excited to announce our newest offering: a course just for beginning bloggers where you’ll learn everything you need to know about blogging from the most trusted experts in the industry. We have helped millions of blogs get up and running, we know what works, and we want you to to know everything we know. This course provides all the fundamental skills and inspiration you need to get your blog started, an interactive community forum, and content updated annually.
With both of my other classes out of the way I can now fully concentrate on rounding out my thesis. The camera moves are more or less set and I’ve received plenty of feedback on them. But with my actual sculpt still needing some work that’s what I’ve focused on.
This time around I fixed up a couple things. I’ve reworked the mage to look better (adding a pouch) and have substantially less geometry. Before, the woman had geometry inside of her and overall had a lot excess polys. But where before she was closing in on 2 million, she now has around 400k.
I also added in some interaction between the people and the ground. (Not the beast yet.) It’s a little rough, but once I refine the rock and properly project it, I’m confident the result will look good.
I also ran a keyshot test to see how long a render will take. Using the maximum samples this frame took less than 10 seconds.
And this one took only 34 seconds. If these numbers hold true then my final render times shouldn’t be terribly length and I will be able to comfortably set up renders.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/IWRB_Hu0Usc
I like some of the shots, but I personally feel that they can be re-ordered to work better or maybe I need some more shots to really sell the scene.
Youtube Link for Video: https://youtu.be/16e8dIo2DIY
Paladin is posed as is the Mage though I would like some more time get facial expressions in there and touch up the Mage’s posture.
Paladin is done. The only thing left to do with him is to pose him which will probably happen in Maya though possibly in Zbrush. The terrain is also finished. I made it narrower and more vertical to help retain the sense of height.
The dragon is next though I am heavily considering mixing up my schedule a bit and doing the mage first so I can focus solely on the dragon. I did some iterative heads which can be found by following the links.
Head 1: https://p3d.in/m9Ym1
Head 2: https://p3d.in/f7opE
The image of the speedwork that I did before was done in a very short amount of time so the overall implementation of it may not be understandable. Basically, I created it in the same vein as a high-relief sculpture. These sculptures are not in the round like the statue of David, but merge with the wall behind them. There are most definitely solid 3D forms in the sculpture that are very much separated from the wall and this gives the sense that the scene is literally coming out of a picture and at the viewer.